Why Choose Organic Clothing and Products for our Children?
For us personally as parents, our children and and some of our friends children experienced skin problems to some degree, whether mild itchiness in warm weather to rashes, redness hay fever like symptoms or even clinical eczema. The fact that these issues were so common surprised us as neither of us nor members of our families had experienced this problem to this extent in our childhood. We believe that this experience is shared by most parents today who would naturally first address diet concerns and switch for example from dairy to Soya products or reduce carbohydrate intake which in some cases did help. Yes, perhaps our environment is more populated than it was but how can the clothes we wear affect our health? Here are some interesting facts about the cultivation of cotton:
- Cotton is the second largest agricultural use of pesticides in the world.(1)
- Five of the top nine pesticides used on cotton (cyanide, dicofol, naled, propargite, are classified as known cancer-causing chemicals.(1)
- In the last 50 years, insecticide use has increased tenfold.
- Children exposed to “cotton poison,” methyl parathion, suffer memory loss and emotional swings. (2)
- It takes roughly one-third of a pound of chemicals (pesticides and fertilizers) to grow enough cotton for just one T-shirt.(1)
There are many more startling facts about non-organic cotton production. Please see our links at the bottom of the page. At Natures Fibres our cotton products are certified organic reassuring you that the cotton used is free from insecticides, pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. We believe that once you feel how soft and comfortable quality organic cotton products are, you will not want your kids to wear anything else!
If you have any questions or suggestions for our product range; please feel free to e-mail us by clicking here.
(3) U.S. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry